LED potting, encapsulating and bonding
Light-emitting diodes (LEDs) are a semiconductor light source that is increasingly used in applications as diverse as aviation lighting, automotive lighting, advertising, traffic signals, outdoor display screens, advanced communication technologies and general lighting.
Encapsulation, potting, bonding, coating and sealing in many of the applications, offers protection for the lighting device from moisture ingress and other harsh environmental hazards.
In automotive and aviation applications it offers additional protection from vibration and heat, improved performance over a wide range of operating temperatures and high degree of reliability and longevity.
Why do silicones excel in LED applications?
Silicone elastomers can be formulated to meet many of the physical properties required by designers working with LED’s. Silicone sealants for LEDs:
- are easy to use and repair
- have excellent electrical and heat management properties
- are flexible and absorb mechanical shock and vibration
- resist ultra-violet rays, ozone, and weathering
- are resistant to humidity, moisture, and are water repellent
- have excellent thermal stability
- have low ionic content minimizing corrosion potential