Silicones for form-in-place gasketing and industrial assembly and maintenance
As modern transport become faster, more reliable and more efficient, demands on materials become more exacting. Silicones meet these demands by delivering the strength, adhesion and durability needed in high-performance automobiles, recreational vehicles, ocean vessels, planes and spacecraft.
General sealing provides protection from moisture, contaminants, chemicals, as well as mechanical and thermal shock. Gaskets are used to seal mechanical assemblies to exclude dirt, water or other contaminants and to provide protection from exposure to extreme environmental conditions like extreme temperature and humidity. Elastomeric sealants due to their stress relieving properties are also used to relieve stress thereby significantly increasing the reliability of the assembly.
Form-in-place gasket makers are at an advantage as they can be applied utilizing various manufacturing methods and to many complex geometries in all shapes and sizes, eliminating the need for costly inventory of cut gaskets.
Why do silicones excel in industrial and transportation applications?
Silicone elastomers can be formulated to meet many of the physical properties required of high performance gaskets; silicone sealants:
- possess enhanced chemical and oil resistance
- remain permanently flexible in extreme conditions
- are resistant to humidity, moisture and contaminants
- absorb mechanical and thermal shock and vibration
- are non-corrosive and have low toxicity
- have excellent thermal stability
- have excellent electrical properties
- resist ultra-violet rays, ozone and weathering
- useful in a variety of application and manufacturing methods